Honey butter fried chicken is crispy breaded chicken wings deep fried in a finely ground waffle crust for a buttery, delectable crunch. This sweet and savory chicken wings recipe is perfect for brunch, lunch, or dinner.
Interested in more brunch recipes? Then you have to try my Strawberry Pancakes with Ice Cream next!
Honey butter fried chicken is so addicting; they’re sticky, sweet, salty, and savory wings with a mouthwatering crunch. If you always order chicken and waffles at brunch, then you will be obsessed with these waffle crusted fried chicken wings!
I first introduced this waffle crusted fried chicken recipe on TikTok but now I’m ready to share all the juicy details, tips, and tricks! It’s a delicious twist on standard buttermilk fried chicken wings and you get all the flavors of brunch in just one dish.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS HONEY BUTTER FRIED CHICKEN RECIPE
- Super Saucy. There’s nothing more southern than something deep-fried and smothered in sauce. My homemade honey butter syrup is simple yet so satisfying.
- Extra Crunchy. Between the waffle breading and the chicken being deep fried to golden perfection, these are extra crispy breaded chicken wings with an audible, delightful crunch.
- So Flavorful. I love a crunchy chicken wing but when I bite into it, I want the juiciest, tastiest meat to be just beneath the skin. Luckily, these wings are thoroughly seasoned and then marinated for deliciously tender chicken.
Honey Butter Fried Chicken Ingredients
- Chicken Wings: I use wings because it’s my favorite part of the bird.
- Seasoning: I use a robust blend of Bayou City All Purpose Seasoning, Bayou City Garlic Pepper, ancho chile powder, and kosher salt.
- Vegetable Oil: You need an oil that can withstand high heat so use this or canola oil as needed for frying.
- Waffles: Use fresh or frozen.
- Buttermilk: For tender, juicy chicken, this ingredient is a must. It also thickens the batter, allowing the waffle crust to adhere to the chicken and not just fall off and disintegrate in the frying pan.
- Cornstarch: This ingredient ensures the chicken is crispy and crunchy.
Honey Butter Syrup
It doesn’t get more simple than this honey butter glaze.
- Honey: For that sticky sweetness, this is an absolute must.
- Butter: That buttery flavor really plays into the chicken and waffles flavor.
- Vanilla: This enhances the sweetness of the honey and complements the waffle coating on the chicken.
How To Make Honey Butter Fried Chicken
Season and Marinate Wings
Split the wings at the joint into wingettes and drumsticks, then discard the wing tips or use for stock. In a small bowl whisk together the Bayou city seasonings, ancho chili powder, and salt.
Rub the wings thoroughly with the spice mix and arrange the chicken in a container or on a platter, cover, and refrigerate for 30 minutes up to overnight.
Make Honey Butter Syrup
In a small saucepan over low heat, gently melt honey, butter, and vanilla. Stir occasionally, until mixture has thickened, about 15 minutes. Let cool and set aside.
Prepare Waffle Mixture and Buttermilk Batter
In a large saucepan, heat 2 inches of oil to 350°F (180ºC). In a food processor fitted with blade attachment, finely grind the waffles. Add the buttermilk to a medium bowl and in another medium bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and ground waffles.
Dip and Fry the Waffle Crusted Wings
A few wings at a time, dip in the buttermilk mixture then in the cornstarch and waffle mixture. Fry, turning once, until the wings are deep golden brown and cooked through, about 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer the wings to paper towels to drain while frying the remaining wings.
Drizzle Honey Butter Over Wings
Once all of the wings have been fried, arrange them on a platter and drizzle the honey butter syrup over the top. Serve immediately.
- Air Fried or Baked: As a healthier alternative you can air fry or bake the chicken, however, it tastes best deep fried in oil.
- Hot Honey: Add crushed red pepper flakes to the honey mixture for a spicy kick.
- Chicken: If you adjust the cooking time, this recipe can be made with chicken breasts, chicken thighs, or even chicken tenders. A honey butter fried chicken sandwich would taste amazing on a brioche bun! Just fry up some boneless chicken breasts or boneless thighs.
- Do not skip the cornstarch. It absorbs moisture resulting in crispy chicken each time.
- If you have a wire rack, place the freshly fried chicken on it so all excess oil can drain and the chicken isn’t sitting in its own grease. Just remember to place a paper towel underneath the rack to absorb the grease.
- In order to save time the day of, marinate the chicken the night before. Also, mix up the dry ingredients ahead of time and store them in an airtight container at room temperature.
- After taking the marinated wings out of the fridge, let the chicken rest at room temperature for at least 15 minutes before frying.
What to Serve With Honey Butter Fried Chicken
- Grits: Keep the brunch vibes going and serve fried chicken with cheesy grits.
- Waffles: You can never have too much of a good thing so pair waffle crusted fried chicken wings with fresh waffles. My honey butter syrup will taste so good drizzled over this dish!
- Mashed Potatoes: If you’re making this for Sunday dinner, it would taste amazing over a bed of creamy mashed potatoes.
- Rice: Serve crispy breaded chicken wings with a side of buttery rice and vegetables for a solid weeknight dinner.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. When you are ready to reheat honey butter fried chicken, reheat them in an oven set to 350°F for about 10 minutes in order to keep them crispy and crunchy.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I know when my fried chicken is done?
When the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165ºF, it can be removed from the oil. Use a meat thermometer to check. Stick the thermometer in the meatiest part of the chicken in order to avoid hitting the bone. This ensures accuracy.
How do you get breading to stick to chicken wings?
Breading will not stick to wet wings. Using cornstarch removes moisture, ensuring the coating is sturdy enough to withstand being fried. If you have about 20 minutes to spare, let the chicken rest after soaking it in buttermilk. This allows the batter to thicken so it will stick to the chicken more easily.
Does cornstarch make chicken crispy?
Absolutely! Cormstarch revents gluten devlopment, resuting in a crispy coating.
More Easy Recipes To Try!
- Easy Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
- Crispy Homemade Fish Sticks
- Best Chili Lime Wings
- Garlic Butter Shrimp
If you loved this Honey Butter Fried Chicken recipe, let me know in the comments. For more delicious recipes, follow me on TikTok and Instagram!
Waffle Crusted Fried Chicken with Honey Butter
- 2 lbs Chicken Wings
- 1 tbsp Bayou City All Purpose Seasoning
- 1 tbsp Bayou City Garlic Pepper
- 1 tsp Ancho Chile Powder
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- Vegetable Oil as needed for frying
- 4 Medium Waffles fresh or frozen
- 2 cups Buttermilk
- 1½ cups Cornstarch
Honey Butter Syrup
- 1 cup Honey
- ½ cup Butter
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- Split the wings at the joint into wingettes and drumsticks, then discard the wing tips or use for stock. In a small bowl whisk together the Bayou city seasonings, ancho chili powder, and salt.
- Rub the wings thoroughly with the spice mix and arrange the chicken in a container or on a platter, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes up to overnight.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, gently melt honey, butter, and vanilla. Stir occasionally, until mixture has thickened, about 15 minutes. Let cool and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat 2 inches of oil to 350°F (180ºC).
- In a food processor fitted with blade attachment, finely grind the waffles.
- Add the buttermilk to a medium bowl and in another medium bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and ground waffles.
- A few wings at a time, dip in the buttermilk mixture then in the cornstarch and waffle mixture. Fry, turning once, until the wings are deep golden brown and cooked through, about 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer the wings to paper towels to drain while frying the remaining wings.
- Once all of the wings have been fried, arrange them on a platter and drizzle the honey butter syrup over the top. Serve immediately.