Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies
If you’ve been looking for the best chocolate chip walnut cookies, you’ve come to the right place! These cookies are super soft and chewy, and full of chocolatey goodness.
Since you have a taste for something sweet, be sure to checkout this Mixed Berry Cheesecake and these Strawberry Pancakes!
Chocolate chip cookies are already one of my absolute favorites! Adding chopped walnuts to the batter makes these THE BEST walnut chocolate chip cookies around though!
Why you will love these cookies
Easy to make! These are some of the best chocolate chip walnut cookies because they are super simple to make.
This recipe uses everyday ingredients! Most of us have flour and butter on hand, which are the base for these cookies. Light brown sugar is also a pantry staple.
Make a big batch! You can double this recipe to make a large batch of cookies to have on hand whenever you’d like. They also make a for a delicious teacher gift, christmas gift, or party snack food.
Ingredients for Chocolate Chip Cookies
Butter: unsalted, room temperature butter is best for this chocolate chip cookie recipe. Set the butter out at least 30 minutes prior to using it.
Sugar: you will need both granulated sugar and light brown sugar (substitute dark brown sugar if you need to).
Chocolate: grab a bar of your favorite milk chocolate that you will cut into chocolate chunks, and some semi sweet chocolate chips.
Wet ingredients: for this recipe you will need one whole egg and two egg yolks. Make sure that the eggs are room temperature.
Dry ingredients: for the dry ingredients you will need all-purpose flour, baking soda, and sea salt.
Walnuts: although they are optional, the walnuts make a BIG difference in flavor for this recipe. Toasted walnuts will yield the best results too!
How to Make Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies
Be sure that your butter is room temperature. So set it out on the counter for at least 30 minutes prior to using it. Then you will start by preheating your oven.
Now grab your stand mixer, or a large bowl, and add in your dry ingredients. Mix the flour and other ingredients together until it is fully combined.
Add your softened butter, egg yolks, and vanilla extract into a separate bowl and mix it up until it is all combined.
Now gently pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, and blend it on medium speed for about 2 minutes. Carefully fold in about 1 cup of the chopped walnuts, try not to over mix.
Line your baking sheet with parchment paper and use a cookie scoop to scoop dough balls onto the pan. Leave about 1-2 inches between each cookie.
Place the cookie sheet into the oven and allow them to bake for about 8 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and transfer the cookies onto a cooling a rack.
Continue the process until all of the cookies have finished baking.
Make sure you let the cookie dough chill. Chilling the cookie dough before popping them in the oven will help get a soft and chewy cookie.
Do not overmix the sugar and butter. If you mix the brown sugar and butter or white sugar and butter too much, it will add to much air to the mixture. Too much air in the cookie dough causes them to spread out and become thin instead of thick
How To Make thick Cookies
Use a cookie scoop to roll the cookie batter into dough balls. Place the dough balls out on a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet.
Do not press the cookie dough balls down! Just add enough space between each cookie, and bake them in the oven.
Once the baked cookies come out, do not press them down with a spoon, just allow the air to escape naturally. The chocolate chip cookie recipe is a success when the cookies are nice and fluffy!
Can I Freeze These Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies?
Yes you can freeze the the baked cookies, and even the raw cookie dough. Place the baked and cooled cookies in a freezer proof Ziploc bag, and freeze up to three months. When you are ready to eat them, just let them thaw, or warm them up in a microwave.
To freeze the cookie dough, simply place it in an airtight container and store it in the freezer for up to three months. When you are ready to eat some cookies, allow it to thaw and bake as directed.
Do You have To Use Walnuts In This Cookie Recipe?
No you can definitely omit the walnuts. Just follow the directions and skip adding them at that step.
If you loved this Mixed Berry Cheesecake recipe, let me know in the comments. For more delicious recipes, follow me on TikTok and Instagram!
Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies
- 1 cup Butter unsalted, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cup Brown sugar dark or light
- 1/3 cup Granulated sugar
- 1 whole Egg room temperature
- 2 Egg yolks room temperature
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla extract
- 2 cups All purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Milk chocolate bar roughly chopped
- 1 cup Semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup Walnuts chopped (optional but recommended)
- Flaky sea salt for topping optional
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add your room temperature butter into a stand mixer or large bowl. Now add in the brown sugar and white sugar. Mix on high for about one minute, just until everything is combined.
- Add your whole egg into the butter and sugar mixture and mix it on low. While it is mixing, add in the egg yolks one at a time, and add the vanilla extract. Mix it for about one minute, until it is incorporporated
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients, including the flour, baking soda, and salt. Slowly add the the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients while mixing on low speed.
- Once all of the dry ingredients are added, continue to whisk on low until everything is fully incorporated. The mixture should be a cookie dough batter now.
- Pour the milk chocolate chunks, the semi sweet chocolate chips, and walnuts into the cookie dough. Use a spoon or a spatula to gently fold the chocolate into the batter.
- Use a cookie scoop to scoop out cookie dough balls. Place the dough balls on the parchment paper. Leave 1-2 inches between each cookie because they will spread.
- Place the cookie sheet in the oven and bake them for 7-8 minutes. Remove the cookies from the oven and use a spatula to transfer them to a cooling rack.
- Continue baking the cookies until all of your batter is used up.